Database Management System
This is the question set Database Management System Spring 2015, which was taken by the Pokhara University.
Pokhara University – Database Management System Spring 2015
|Level: Bachelor||Semester –Spring||Year: 2015|
|Program: BCIS||Full Marks: 100|
|Course: Database Management System||Pass Marks: 45|
Very Short Answer Questions
Attempt all the questions.
- What is DBMS?
- Who are the database users?
- What are attributes? Define primary Key.
- What is database instance? Illustrate with example.
- What are characteristics of relational database?
- What is Database Anomalies?
- Define integrity constraint.
- What are aggregate functions?
- Define time stamp protocols.
- Define remote backup system.
Descriptive Answer Questions
Attempt any six questions
- What is join in a database? Explain its types with suitable examples.
- What is transaction? Explain about locking.
- Define data normalization? Explain 1NF, 2NF,3NF with suitable example.
- Consider the following relations:
Course(course_id, title, dept_name, credits)
Student(ID, name, dept_name,tot_cred)
Instructor ( ID, name, dept_name, salary)
Write SQL statements:
- Find the titles of courses in the ‘Computer Science’ department that have 3 credits.
- Create relation student.
- Find the highest salary of any instructor.
- Find all the instructors earning the highest salary (hint: there may be more than one with the same salary)
- What is recovery system? What are the failures of database? Explain its type.
- Why concurrency control is required? List various state of transaction. Explain lock base protocols.
- What is E-R diagram? Draw E-R diagrams showing all types of Mapping cardinality.
- Section “C”
Read the case situation given below and answer the questions that follow.
After major earthquake of April, 2015, an INGO is working on Emergency Response Program in Dolkha district. 15 staff( Manager, field supervisors, engineers etc) are responsible to run the project. The major work of this INGO are (a) Build 300 homes for those poor people lost their home in earthquake, (b) Reconstruct or repair 5 community schools, (c) support 150 families in their livelihood ( farming, animal husbandry etc) (d) education support to the children and (e)temporary support in food and clothing etc.
You have been hired to develop the database system for this INGO.
i) Draw an E-R diagram
ii) Enlist the max number of tables you require in the system.
iii) Show all possible and relevant attributes of at least for two tables.
iv) Offer some Views (logical) of the system.