Database Management System – Fall, 2016
This is the question set along with answers Database Management System Fall 2016, which was taken by the Pokhara University.
Pokhara University – Database Management System Fall 2016
|Level: Bachelor||Semester –Fall||Year: 2016|
|Program: BCIS||Full Marks: 100|
|Course: Database Management System||Pass Marks: 45|
Very Short Answer Questions
Attempt all the questions.
- Briefly write on 3 tier architecture.
- What are types of attributes?
- Enlist any two relational operations with example.
- What is database instance? Illustrate with example.
- Who are the database users?
- Define integrity constraint.
- What are aggregate functions?
- What are database anomalies?
- What are ACID properties?
- Define time stamp protocols.
Descriptive Answer Questions
Attempt any six questions
11. Consider the following relations:
Course (course id, title, dept_name, credits)
Instructor (ID, name, dept_name, salary)
Write SQL statements:
a. Find the titles of courses in ‘Computer Science’ department that have 3 credits.
b. Create relation student.
c. Find the highest salary of any instructor.
d. Find all the instructors earning the highest salary (hint: there may be more than one with the same salary)
12. What is a Materialized view? Illustrate about ‘commit’ and ‘rollback’ in transaction.
13. What is ACID property? Explain about serializability in Transaction.
14.Define data normalization? Explain 1NF, 2NF, 3NF with suitable example.
15. What is recovery system? What are the failures of database? Explain its type.
16. Why concurrency control is required? List various state of transaction.
Explain lock base protocols.
17. a) What is schema diagram? Give an example.
b) Discuss the desirable properties of decomposition.
18. Draw an entity-relationship diagram for the following information’s:
-A college contains many departments
– Each department can offer any number of courses
-Many instructors can work in a department
-An instructor can work only in one department
-For each department there is a Head
-An instructor can be head of only one department
-Each instructor can take any number of courses
-A course can be taken by only one instructor
-A student can enrol for any number of course
-Each course can have any number of students
Assume your own entity and attributes.
If you liked our content Database Management System || Fall, 2016 then, you may also like Data Analysis and Modeling || Fall, 2016 || Pokhara University || BCIS