Database Management System – Fall, 2017
This is the question set along with answers to Database Management System Fall 2017, which was taken by the Pokhara University.
Pokhara University – Database Management System Fall 2017
|Level: Bachelor||Semester –Fall||Year: 2017|
|Program: BCIS||Full Marks: 100|
|Course: Database Management System||Pass Marks: 45|
Very Short Answer Questions
Attempt all the questions.
- Define database system.
- Define data model
- What are inner joins?
- Define remote backup system.
- What are the characteristics of a relational database?
- Define query language.
- What are aggregate functions?
- What are database anomalies?
- What are ACID properties?
- Define log-based protocols.
Descriptive Answer Questions
Attempt any six questions
- What is application architecture? Explain one-tier and two-tier architecture.
- What is locking? Explain two-phase locking.
- What is the structure of a relational database? Explain with the figure.
- Consider the following relations and perform the following operations:
I. Find the names of suppliers who supply some red parts.
II. Find the sids of suppliers who supply some red or green parts.
III. Find the pids of the most expensive parts supplied by suppliers named Yasmin shah.
IV. Update supplier’s name whose address is Kathmandu
- Define data normalization? Explain 2NF with a suitable example.
- What is a recovery system? What are the failures of the database? Explain its type.
- Why concurrency control is required? List various states of Transaction. Explain lock base protocols.
- Draw an entity-relationship diagram for the University database as information provided below:– A lecturer, identified by his or her number, name, and room number, is responsible for organizing a number of course modules.
– Each module has a unique code and also a name and each module can involve a number of lecturers who deliver part of it.
– A module is composed of a series of lectures and because of economic constraints and common sense, sometimes lectures on a given topic can be part of more than one module.
– A lecture has a time, room, and date and is delivered by a lecturer and a lecturer may deliver more than one lecture.
– Students, identified by number and name, can attend lectures and a student must be registered for a number of modules and also store the date.
– Finally, a lecturer acts as a tutor for a number of students and each student has only one tutor.
If you liked Database Management System || Fall, 2017 then, you may also like Fundamentals of Organizational Behaviour || Fall,2017 || Pokhara University || BBA/BBA-BI/BBA-TT/BCIS/BHCM