This is the question set along with answers of English – Fall, 2014, for the first semester which was taken by Pokhara University.
POKHARA UNIVERSITY – English, Fall 2014
Level: Bachelor Semester: Fall Year:2014
Programme: BBA/BBA-BI/BCIS/BHCM/BBA-TT Full Marks: 100
Course: English, Fall 2014 Pass Marks: 45
Time: 3 hrs
Attempt all the questions.
- ‘Marriage is a Private Affair’ revolves around the conflict between Nnaemeka and his father:
- Describe this conflict.
- Explain the reasons for this conflict.
- Is this conflict ever resolved?
- Relate a similar conflict from your own life with a friend, child or parent. Model your account after that of Achebe’s.
Apply the four levels of interacting with text to ‘if not higher’ by I.L. Peretz
- Do you advocate for a team playing or centralizing governance in workplaces? Which approach is beneficial in terms of the prevailing corporate culture in Nepal? Adequately support your claim.
You have been assigned to conduct a feasibility study for recommending an ideal site for a newly proposed branch of a commercial bank. Make a list of criteria you would advise and explain why each criterion is important in your views.
- Answer any four of the following.
- Summarize the story ‘The Library Card’ by Richard Wright in a paragraph.
- Compare any two competing products/ services and establish which one is worth buying in terms of certain features.
- What new technology have you been using in your private or professional life? How does it help in increasing your efficiency?
- What are the advantages of using audiovisual media like televisions in teaching-learning activities?
- Why the Yanomamo males are called the most savage among the existing human race?
- Give an account of the company where you work and its products or services.
- Give brief and pertinent answers to any five of the following:
- How does the speaker become nostalgic in the poem ‘Piano’?
- Write a conversation between A and B for the given situation:
A can’t operate an office gadget, therefore shares the problem with B.
B offers help instructing how to use the gadget.
- Think of the job you would like to do in the future. Mention some skills, qualifications, and qualities for such a job.
- Talk about your schedule for this week.
- What is the main idea of the story ‘A Fight between a Lion and a Crocodile’?
- ‘A parrot called a bird, a twice-born child.’ Explain.
- Complete this email using the past simple form of the verbs in brackets.
I’m back from the trip. It was great. We _____ (fly) with United Airlines in Business Class. Julio ____ (meet) us at the airport when we arrived. We ____ (spend) two weeks visiting customers which were very interesting. Then we ___ (have) a short holiday and ____ (do) some sightseeing. We _____ (not see), Heike, unfortunately. We ____ (leave) before she ____ (come) back from her holiday. Anyway, can you tell me what happened at the company in the last three weeks?
- Rewrite the sentences correcting the mistakes.
- Easy Jet is often cheaper than British Airways.
- Vodafone offers a good service that my phone provider.
- Our office is in a more expensive location like our competitor’s.
- Spanish is easier to learn than Japanese.
- Complete the following information card with needed information:
- I’m from ___________
- I’m ______________
- I’m a/an ___________
- My company is ______
You may also like Four Levels of Phaedo