The World Health Organization has declared the Global Health Emergency on Corona Virus outbreak after almost 1 month of Wuhan lockdown which is ground zero for the virus. The spread of the virus is increasing globally even as transmission in China where the virus originated at the end of last year is showing the signs of slowing.
What is Corona Virus?
According to WHO, Corona Virus is a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. The new strain has been recently named as COVD-19 by WHO.
How does it spread?
Though the strains of the virus that were identified before weren’t able to transfer from human-to-human, the new strained has been confirmed to have human-to-human transmission. It is believed to have transferred to humans through cats or camels. It’s likely to be transmitted in droplets from coughing or sneezes, and the virus has a two- to the 14-days incubation period.
- Coughing and sneezing without covering the mouth can disperse droplets into the air.
- Touching or shaking hands with a person who has the virus can pass the virus between individuals.
- Making contact with a surface or object that has the virus and then touching the nose, eyes, or mouth.
- Some animal coronaviruses, such as feline coronavirus (FCoV), may spread through contact with feces. However, it is unclear whether this also applies to human coronaviruses.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Since the virus has an incubation period of 14-days, there seem to be common cold/ flu-like symptoms in the initial 3-4 days.
Some of the mild symptoms include:
- Runny nose and eyes
- Sore throat
- Fever in rare cases
- Shortness of breath
- Respiratory problems
Some of the severe cases are:
- Exacerbated asthma
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome
- Kidney Failure
How can I avoid catching the Corona Virus?
There is no vaccine or medicine to prevent the virus the best anyone can do is avoid exposure to the virus.
- WASH YOUR HAND. Wash your hand right after you come in contact with any foreign objects or any individuals at least for 20 seconds. You don’t want to have the virus nor do you want to be the carrier of it.
- Covering your nose and mouth while sneezing and coughing. And wash your hand after it.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean. Use a hand sanitizer.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Try to avoid going to places with a large number of people.
- Drink enough water preferably warm. Try not to make your throat dry.
- Thoroughly cook meats and eggs before eating.
- Avoid eating junk foods.
- Try to eat as much as the foods containing Vitamin C especially for those who are above 60 years of age or have low immunity power due to suffering from various other diseases.
- Immunity power is the key to fight the virus currently so eat healthily, keep yourself fit through exercise and yoga.
How to treat the COVID-19?
Currently, there hasn’t been any vaccine or medicines made that can cure the virus, the only thing that is in our favor to fight the virus is our very own WBCs. So, keep the immunity up. The things that you can do if you feel you have the virus are listed below:
- Self- quarantine if you have any kind of minor symptoms of cold and fever, this will prevent the virus from spreading.
- Go to the doctor and get yourself tested immediately.
- Always have a mask on and keep physical contact with other individuals to as minimal as possible.
- Take rest and have fluid intake.
- Continue doing basic physical exercises and yoga.
- And most of all don’t panic and cause yourself mental pressure. Your body will be more fatigued through this.
Lastly, the thing that is more harmful then the virus is fear so don’t follow fake news and mentally pressurize yourself through panic. You mightn’t be affected by the virus but if you fear and panic too much about it then, your body will be more fragile, fatigued and will be more prone to the affection. Be calm and follow the precautions and helps others with precaution and prevention, too. Spread Love and Stay Healthy.